Tuesday 9 March 2010

Come on motivation, 1-2-3.....

It's been a funny old couple of weeks. Since the 'Lights Out' show at Stew I have found it extremely hard to get back into the swing of things. This is the final stretch of the degree, the last hurdle if you will, and it suddenly seems unattainable for me. I'd like hope that at my core I am a creative person with some interesting ideas floating round in my head (sometimes....) but I find myself waiting for that elusive 'inspiration', afraid to start anything because I don't feel passionate enough about it or confident enough to pull it off. Talking to people and colleagues about this has really helped, it has also made me realise that sitting and waiting to become passionate about your work is not always realistic. I found this article very interesting; http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/12/change-your-life-passions. I particulary like the author's idea that ''passion is the feeling you get from mastering a skill, not some magical quality unrelated to hard work: you create passion, rather than "finding" it'' . So from this point it is important I keep moving forward, as unsure as I am about my ideas and how to turn them into something tangible.

Currently I'm getting all worked up over dust, yes, dust. A lot of my work previously has dealt with Identity, when I started trying to think about the things we leave behind I became fascinated with the things we unconsciously leave behind; strands of hair, particles of skin, shavings, crumbs. This is all considered detritus, and yet it was once a part of us and the bodies we inhabit. I'm interested in exploring this detritus, elevating it, understanding it. Could something we discard and are even disgusted by be beautiful in someway? I've armed myself with a Macro lense and fancy camera in the hope of getting some good images of dust, particularly the way it moves in light. Here's hoping it gets some of my own particles moving...

P.S Other people think dust is fascinating too apparently; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Yp5-_KrCM

No comments:

Post a Comment