Thursday 29 April 2010

New series.....





Statement for degree catalogue;
'My work is concerned with the elemental nature of existence. I am fascinated by what we leave behind in every room or place we have inhabited. Layers of dust sift over the edges of books, on the periphery of furniture, in the corners. Hair and skin ground down into a fine powder, an ongoing residue. The beauty of dust as it catches the light, watching the particles float, swirl and fall evokes contemplation. We are so quick to discard our dust, and yet it remains

The project has slowly become an obsession. The very nature of collecting something that is intrinsically everywhere has meant I am continually equipped and prepared; seeing how the dust differs from person to person, place to place, filming it when falling. I am intrigued by the similarities and differences between the samples. My knowledge of the individual contributors leads me to search for identifiable features.

One obsession leads to another; a personalized act of the documentation and categorisation of the samples, seeking order from chaos. The status of my obsession becomes elevated in the process. The particles become evidence, the mundane is rendered special. That which is around us but which we often overlook, becomes precious.'

3 comments:

  1. I like these pictures very much - might I have copies at some stage or, if they are on film, may I buy prints from you?
    I think they're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give me a nudge at the weekend and I'll pass them on to you. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so evocative of tracks in cloud chambers... the large scale version of the movement of sub-atomic particles. The physicists name their gyrating particles with things like "strangeness" which has resonance with your project; a sort of academic judgement on a tiny piece of matter taken out of it's context; valued, labelled, studied, photographed - almost prized - for itself rather than as a part of the whole of it's origin.

    I wonder if you've inadvertently named these particles with an artists view; what are your tachyons, quarks and gluons?

    ReplyDelete