Tuesday 13 April 2010

If I leave it any longer, I'll just forget.


Last night I had a dream about running. Dreams about long distance running are something I've always been envious of, I want the sense of endurance, a rhythm. This wasn't like that. For a start I was wearing my birkenstocks and they kept falling off my feet, so as I ran over a bridge I threw them off into the river below and briefly glanced at them floating rapidly away. After a few minutes I realised I was by the river in Ely, I also realised my hands were full of coins, mostly pounds and 20 pence pieces that kept falling threw my fingers and out of my pockets. At some point I almost ran straight into this kid, a boy of about 10 who looked a lot like the kid in Son of Rambow. He asked me why I was running in bare feet and I told him it felt more real. He looked scared and when I said he should be getting home, he asked me to come back to his house and meet his dad, I ran with him to his front door. His dad was sitting at the table not saying anything and looking really menacing, the boy waved a piece of paper under his nose that said he owed £12 for his music lessons and if his dad wouldn't pay then he'd have to stop, the man ignored him. I went to leave and then turned back and put all the falling coins I had into the boys hand and told him to promise me he'd only use it for the music lessons. When I left I started running again, slowly but steadily, and for what seemed like a long time. As I reached my road again, which was back where my old house was in Ely, I bumped into Shane and Clare each holding a beautiful baby. Twins, two boys, they wore matching striped hats and I kissed each one on the cheek before running on back to my front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment